NEWS RELEASE dated APRIL 22, 2011
5th Annual Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival
May 14 & 15
Presented by: Japanese American Association of Indiana, Fort Wayne Dance
Collective, Fort Wayne Sister Cities International Inc.,
Sponsors (As of April 22 ): Howard & Betsy Chapman, Serenity Kitchen & Bath, TRIN Inc., Fort Wayne Metals Research Products Corp., Visit Fort Wayne, Petroleum Traders, Stucky Brothers Inc., CME Automotive, Ferguson Advertising, Gabriel Delobbe, Tokyo Seoul, Woo’s Oriental Grocery & Mart, FAME, Foundation for Art and Music in Education, Ikasucon, City of Fort Wayne, JapanInFortWayne.com, The Green Frog, Asahi Beer, Five Star Distributing, ES ARC, WBNI, WANE TV, INDIANASNEWSCENTER, Fort Wayne Bonsai Club, Goshin Budo.
When: Saturday, May 14, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. / Sunday, May 15, Noon to 6 p.m.
900 Library Plaza,
Cost: Most events free for the public
A Japan Disaster Relief table will accept public donations to be sent through the American Red Cross to provide disaster assistance to people in Japan
Saturday Evening, May 14, 2011
a Special: A Magical Evening of Japanese Music - ACPL Theatre 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Featuring World-renowned Yoko
Reikano Kimura, koto - local
Philharmonic artists: Hiromi Ito, violin,
Hikaru Tamaki, cello; Akira Murotani, trumpet: and Bob Nance, piano. Also:
Seating is limited.
Cost: $15 /adult (with $5 going for
Japanese Disaster Relief)/ Children 12 and under, $5.
For ticket information, contact
a ASAHI Beer will be available for purchase from The Green Frog in the theatre lobby, starting at 6 p.m.
a Anime Films Showing: Meeting Rooms A,B,C. 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Cost; no charge. [Persons 12 years old and under MUST be accompanied by a responsible adult]
Opening Ceremony Sunday, May 15, 2011
12:15 p.m. Opening Ceremony
singing the Star Spangled Banner and the Japanese National Anthem, and
Sakura, Cherry Blossom (in Japanese)
the City of
Sayaka Ganz, leading the public in a traditional Bon-Odori dance
Featured Artists and Events at the Cherry Blossom Festival
· Fort Wayne Taiko, from the Fort Wayne Dance Collective, Great Lakes Taiko and friends
Minyo Japanese Folk
· Yoko Reikano Kimura Japanese Koto
· Hiromi Ito, Violin
· Hikaru Tamaki, Cello
· Akira Murotani, Trumpet
· Bob Nance, Piano
· Daniel Quinn, Guitar
· Dorothy Kittaka, Soprano and Japanese Storyteller, Kamishibai Storycard Theater
· Fort Wayne Children’s Choir, Treble and Lyric, conducted by Phyllis Boester
· Mrs. Shie Otani, Japanese Tea Ceremony
· Martial Arts, several groups demonstrating
Mike Schmid and
Arts and Crafts of
· J. Toguri Mercantile from Chicago– Various Japanese items
· Hiroshi Kaneko – Handmade Japanese Kites and tops
· Hisako Kometani – Japanese Origami and Silk Thread mobiles
· Chikuen Kato –Japanese personalized calligraphy on special bookmarks
· Cherry Blossom Festival T-shirts-especially designed for the festival
· Cherry Blossom Festival notecards – especially designed for the festival
Anime Art! Draw a famous anime character or your own original character for prizes.
Can You Haiku? Students will submit work prior to festival and public may compose haiku at the festival for prizes.
CosPlay Competition! Students may wear costumes depicting their favorite anime character for prizes.
Toyko Seoul Restaurant, purchase authentic Japanese cuisine.
Woo’s Oriental Grocery & Mart , buy Japanese candies, drinks, ice cream, crackers etc.
HANDS-ON JAPANESE ACTIVITIES
Bonsai Display and Demonstration by
Origami Demonstration and Hands-on session,
Mike Schmid, Art educator/artist and
Japanese Kites and Toys handmade by
Hiroshi Kaneko from
Japanese Children’s Games and Crafts by the
Information: Please look at: JapanInFortWayne.com
For more information contact: